It seems like every time I read the news, I am reminded of why I feel homeschooling is so important. There are so many crazy things going on in our schools! It’s really quite alarming. When I read these articles I always think, “I really should make a list of all these crazy stories!” But, being me, I never followed through. Well, surprise surprise, a couple of months ago I actually did begin a list of the ones that upset me the most. This is only a compilation of the last couple of months, and I am sure that I will keep adding to it, but here goes…
Why I Homeschool:
- Because I don’t want to get arrested for choosing to walk my kid home from school instead of driving. (Isn’t that the “green” thing to do, anyway?)
- Because school officials who think that Ritz crackers are a good supplement to a healthy, homemade meal should not be in charge of feeding my kids lunch.
- Because I never want anyone to suppress my child’s potential.
- Because no child should be punished for trying to prove that he/she was indeed a victim of bullying.
- Because I am not okay with feeding my kids unidentifiable foods.
- Because as long as I draw breath, no child of mine will be indoctrinated into worshiping a political leader like he is a god.
- Because I prefer to protect my children from being “accidentally” taken home by a complete stranger.
- Because anyone with half a brain should know that this just does not pass for healthy food.
- Because I would prefer not to go to jail for beating my child’s principle within an inch of her life for doing this to my kid.
- Because I will never, ever allow my child’s physical (or emotional) well-being to be compromised because of stupid, absurd policies.
- Because it is the job of PARENTS to discuss sexual matters such as birth control and abortion with their kids; it is NOT Planned Parenthood’s business.
- Because if anyone ever gave my child a vaccination, or any form of medication, without first seeking my consent, you would witness me reach an all-new level of crazy.
- Because it shouldn’t take a lawsuit to convince school officials that it’s wrong to demand a student to hand over passwords to private accounts that are accessed OUTSIDE of school property!
- Because my children should not be publicly humiliated for any reason, ever.
- Because my children should not have to worry about being commuted through dangerous areas, or having to get up insanely early in the morning to catch the bus, all because the government can’t afford to keep their local schools open.
- Because there’s nothing wrong with “old school math” – and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
- Because teaching my children HOW to think, and not WHAT to think is the most important aspect of education, and I will never settle for anything less for my children.